An increasing number of institutional investors are seeking sustainable investment opportunities for their portfolios. Specifically, the investors seek to identify investment strategies that can meet the financial needs of the organization by investing in established businesses, new ventures, or other investment vehicles that are consistent with the principles of sustainability. The best proposals will offer a novel investment strategy over current approaches. Teams are encouraged to think beyond venture capital fund vehicles & strategies.
Institutions seeking investments may include but are not limited to:
Retirement and Pension Funds
The proposal must be a fit for an institutional investor who is seeking:
- Both competitive returns and positive social and/or environmental impact
- Risk management that is commensurate with the target returns
- Transparent performance metrics for both the financial and social return
- Clear linkage between program outcomes and social impact
The institutions are open to multiple asset classes, including but not limited to:
- Public equities
- Private equity/venture capital
- Real assets
- Fixed income securities
- Microfinance lending and investing
The Challenge is looking for innovative investment ideas that balance the tension between financial and social return rather than sacrifice either priority. There is no limitation on asset class or investment vehicle and teams are encouraged to think creatively. The focus is on investment vehicles and fund strategies versus companies.